The National Student Exchange (NSE) is an undergraduate study away program much like study abroad. Rather than crossing oceans, NSE students cross state, regional, provincial, and cultural borders. Through this program students take a semester or academic year to attend another fully accredited participating institution while making progress toward their University of Alabama degree. The NSE is comprised of nearly 200 colleges and universities throughout the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
By participating in the program, students can broaden their personal and educational experiences, explore and appreciate new cultures, take courses not offered at The University of Alabama, learn from different professors, explore new areas of study, break out of their comfort zones, expand academic program options, experience personal growth, and investigate graduate schools or employment opportunities.
The requirements for NSE participation include:
- Full-time enrollment at The University of Alabama
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Good academic, judicial, and financial standing
- Must not be on probation, parole, or have any pending legal judgements
- There is a $250 non-refundable application fee.
- Tuition and fees
- NSE is a tuition-reciprocal exchange program which utilizes two different plans for payment. The University of Alabama participates in both Plan A (Open) and Plan B (Even) of the NSE.
- Plan A: Students pay the host campus in-state tuition and fees directly.
- Plan B: Students continue to pay normal tuition and fees to The University of Alabama. If a student is currently paying non-resident tuition, they should expect to continue to do so while on exchange.
- Room and meals
- If a student chooses to live on campus at the host university – and it is strongly encouraged that students do so – they will pay the costs for room and meals directly to the host campus, not the UA. Cost estimates for all participating institutions can be found through the National Student Exchange. Costs are subject to change without notice.
- Other fees
- Whether utilizing Plan A or Plan B, students will also be expected to pay the host campus those fees which are assessed as a condition of enrollment, including laboratory course fees, computer and technology course fees, art supply fees, etc.